THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, final page. As a few people have noticed, the webcomic is slightly shorter than the print comic, which uses two pages for the double page spreads, as opposed to the one page of the webcomic. So the print version is slightly longer for better value. :)

Here we are at the end, my friends. Thank you so much for being a part of this. (Haha, I almost wrote “thank you so much for being a part of the Friends With Boys Webcomic Experience. How cheesy!) I have really enjoyed sharing this comic (and my thoughts on making comics and comics I love and just comics!!!!) with you. I hope you’ve enjoyed it too … if the response I’ve gotten from the online community (so many comments! so many pageviews) is any indication, I think you have.

First off, website news: The full version of Friends With Boys (the webcomic) will remain up for about another week and a half. Then the image files (except for the first 16 pages which will remain up as a preview for interested readers) will be removed from the website. The blog posts will all remain up for the foreseeable future (I hope to archive them a little better down the line), so you can come back and read them anytime.

And now, I have a small favour to ask: if you can, please buy the book. You certainly do not owe me anything. I have worked hard on this comic over the last seven months, and I feel I have been rewarded by your attention and your involvement in it. But if you are someone who has very much enjoyed this comic and want to give back to me, you can do so buy purchasing the comic. A few kind souls have asked what is the best way for them to buy the comic (local comic store, bookshop, ordering online) and I don’t think it matters in terms of my royalties (I will eventually be paid royalties if my advance for FWB earns out), but I always encourage people to try and support local. So that is my suggestion. If you do not have a local comic or bookstore you enjoy (and I do not begrudge those of you wishing to avoid the dank pamphlet filled hellhole that is a crappy local comic store), by all means, order from your preferred online retailer. If you cannot afford the book, but would still like to support me, you can ask your local library to buy it. I LOVE libraries, and I think they are incredibly important in the front line of reaching new comic book readers, so that is also a big help.  You could lead someone brand new into reading comics!

So that is my request. If you can, support me, and buy the print version of Friends With Boys, so I can continue my fruitful relationship with First Second, and they can continue to publish my books.

And now … one of the things that is so different about the webcomic experience, as opposed to having a book published and then sending it out into the world, is that I suddenly find myself in a situation where I can explain myself. Friends With Boys has an open ending. It was a deliberate artististic choice to end it so, and while some might have (completely valid) issues with the ending, I am content with it.

It is very tempting for me to sit here and blog my thoughts about the ending and the book as a whole. This is what the Ghost means to me! This is what this symbolizes! And this, and this! Etc. I have decided I will not do that, because I think endings are best when they are left a little up to the imagination of the readers. I have a future in mind for Maggie, that involves her Mom and her family and maybe the Ghost. But you might have a different future for her. And since there is no sequel planned for Friends With Boys (ever! Unless the book sells 20 million copies and Ryan Gosling himself begs me for it), that future remains open, and I think that is pretty great. I love the idea of the readers of this book making up different futures for all these characters.

I will say this though: this is not a story about a Ghost. It is a story about a girl learning that there are things she cannot fix, but maybe that will be okay. Even when it’s not.

That is the story I wanted to tell.

Thank you for reading.

PS. Come back tomorrow, for I have some hilarious guest comics by a good friend to show you! You will laugh your socks off, guaranteed.

(Thanks page: Thank you so much to First Second for allowing me to serialize Friends With Boys online. I know I have reached more readers than I ever thought possible this way. Thank to to my agent, Bernadette, for suggesting we do this. Thank you to my boyfriend Tim for supporting me through this busy, stressful time. Thank you to my wonderful webmaster Lissa, and all the hours she put into maintaining this website. Couldn’t have done it without you, Lissa! I owe you many drawings. And again, thank you readers. You have made this something special.)

1. Dave says:

Congratulations Faith! It’s a wonderful story and a great achievement. I can’t wait to see the real book!!

2. snapdragon76 says:

Awww, I kinda don’t want it to end. I kinda wish to see what happens from here on with Maggie and Lucy and their respective brothers. That’s how you know you’ve created a good ‘product.’ People want more.

And I pre-ordered the book and am waiting excitedly for it to show up in my mailbox. Thanks for the fun ride and I look forward to your next project, Faith.

3. Jen says:

Read it, loved it, pre-ordered it. Thanks for doing such great work, Ive been a fan for a while and it always makes me smile when I can add one of your books to my graphic novel collection :)

4. Cambells says:

I’ll admit I don’t really like the ending because of the openness of it. I would have liked to know a little more what happened afterward or your thoughts on the ghost and the meanings and all that because this ending makes me feel a little confused and cut short of a ending.

5. Last month, my 7th grade girlfriend, who showed me at the time what good comic drawing is by being one hell of an artist herself, mentioned “Friends with Boys” in one of her status updates on Facebook (Our six-month relationship in 1997 only ended because she was moving to the west coast of Florida, and a long-distance relationship didn’t seem like it could work). She mentioned you, Faith, as one of her favorite artists. I Googled “Friends with Boys” and started reading from the first page.

I was thoroughly entranced by it, five pages in, and upon reaching page 62, I pre-ordered it on Amazon. I love that gloomy atmosphere with that wonderfully detailed artwork that makes you feel it, and wanted it in print.

I would be disappointed to see “Friends with Boys” end if I hadn’t ordered it, but I know that not only will I get to stare at that haunting artwork for as long as I want (Not that I haven’t done it enough already by bookmarking the page and going to it often as inspiration for my writing) and experience the entire story again, with a deeper appreciation, but I’m also eager for your next project, Faith. Whatever it is, I’ll be there. And chances are I’ll pre-order that one too long before I reach the end.

6. James says:

Thank YOU so much for allowing us to share this journey with you! I was not familiar with your work until very recently, and then I found Super-Hero Girl and right after that you started Friends With Boys. It’s been a joy to read this comic in this serialized form, and I can’t wait to hod the printed book (which I obviously preordered) in my hands.

I will be following your work closely, and I look forward to your next comics.

Best,
    J.

7. Roma says:

Thank you so much for posting this online! I’ve already pre-ordered mine.

8. Alyssa says:

This has been a fabulous experience. I am so glad I was able to be a part of it. Waiting anxiously for my copy to arrive in the mail.

Sadly, I have no local comic book shop…maybe some day I will open my own.

9. Thomas says:

Thank you for a great read. Promise to pick it up at my local.

10. Asia says:

As with all of your comics, I am always so damn frustrated/sad when they end because they have ended. I wish it were possible for these stories to keep going. I have absolutely LOVED every single comic you’ve posted up online and I own two of them in print and I hope to obtain more, but I always hate it when they end. :(

11. Wynne says:

Thank you for letting us read this!!! It was a wonderful experience, from the first page to the last!

12. Fran says:

This is my favourite out of all the comics you’ve done (having been a fan since D101). Thank you for posting it online for us. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I think the ending works really well. Can’t wait to have the paper version. I pre-ordered it yesterday.

13. inPhobos says:

Congratulations and Well Done!
    I’ve been enjoying it very much, and the book is already on my wish list.
    And “hi” to Wynne, of course. :)

14. Yann says:

Read it all today, and I ordered the book on amazon.fr only 10 pages in. Great work.

15. Keith says:

Waah! As an old man (I’m much older than most of your readers I’m sure) I really enjoyed this comic, and I’m going to miss reading it every day. I already ordered one from my LCS (support your LCS folks) and may get another to donate to the middle school library. Looking forward to more work from you Faith.

16. Andrew says:

I so have enjoyed making the on line version a part of my morning ritual, helping me cope with the raveges of work.
    I will miss reading the updates, between sips of my morning coffee. However I have also pre-ordered through my LCS, so I can continue to read it in hardcopy.
    Thanks for all your blogs Faith and for turning me on to so many wonderful graphic novels. I look eagerly forward to seeing more work from you.

17. Djibril says:

I enjoyed that very much, having been reading it every day since the end of last year. Thanks for streaming a page a day. I look forward to your future projects.

I’ve just pre-ordered a copy of the print very for a YA author friend.

18. K says:

Thanks for posting this online for us to enjoy. Money is tight right now but I’ll buy it when I can. I wish there was a little more closure, but that’s mostly because I really enjoy these characters and want to see them interact more and grow together. :) Thanks again and I hope the release goes swimmingly!

19. Alice says:

Thanks for a wonderful story! And I would second Faith’s comment about asking your local library to purchase a copy–even if you plan on buying your own! Libraries are (almost always) very receptive of user suggestions and a wonderful place for people who aren’t regular comic store-goers to stumble into a new graphic novel, or into comics altogether! =)

20. Jill says:

Every time I read the blog or story, Faith, it was like a little visit with you, rich, poignant, funny, surprising and somtimes sad. Faith, how I admire the gifts and hard work, passion you have and give to your work. May all good things continue. Of course, you know we have ordered a copy for your grandmother and will buy more, I am sure.
    One suggestion: libraries are very open to donations, so, folks, order and extra copy and give it to your library.
    Congratulations and best wishes for continued success from all your family! And congratulations to Tim for his support in the process! oxox

21. Random Guy says:

No decisive conclusions, no neat little bows, but as with everything else the kids have simply moved on to the start of a new day.

22. Lydia says:

I had to zoom the final panel to get the gist of it (damn my 50 something old eyes). I won’t spoil it for those who will also need to zoom or maybe buy the book (buy the book and you don’t need the zoom or computer!) but it is a sweet ending.

I will have to buy a copy once we get to our new place in FL. It is a good story, and like any writer, you left your audence wanting more…

23. Rosalia says:

I’ve loved reading this and I’m a little sad it’s done (seriously I teared up a little). I ordered copies for Teen Depts in both of the libraries where I work and I hope to need many replacement copies!

24. cindy says:

i’m sorry to see this end, because i really like the characters (i spent a lot of time wanting to give maggie a hug and tell her everything would be ok) and the story and the art, and it reads as if there’s still more to tell about the kids and the ghost and even maggie’s parents, but it’s still a very satisfying story and i thoroughly enjoyed it. thank you (and first second!) for giving us a chance to read it online, and i will definitely be buying it from my local comic shop so i have a copy to hold in my hot little hands and loan out as necessary. :D

25. kathleen says:

This is my first comment on, I think, any comic I’ve ever read. I just wanted to add my thanks to the list. It’s really awesome of you to share this story with us for free.

I love to draw as well, but I’ve let a lot of things get in the way of that. You’ve inspired me to try harder. :)

Also, money is kind of tight right now, so I can’t buy the book myself, but I work at a library and have added it to our book order list! I hope we get it soon. I might be the first to borrow it.

26. Caety says:

Thanks so much for keeping this comic going online. I really enjoyed reading it, and I will do my darndest to try to find the money to order it (yay for poor college students). I’ve enjoyed how true-to-life this comic book is, and that remains the case with the ending. In real life there are no clear endings; everything just keeps going. You’ve captured that with this book, and I appreciate that.

Also that last panel is GORGEOUS.

27. Staticgirl says:

Thanks ever so much for posting this wonderful comic online. I shall miss the characters rather a lot and I shall wonder what happens to them later in their lives.

Poor lonely sad ghost!

I shall recommend this comic to all and sundry including my local libraries! I get paid next week so hopefully I’ll be able to buy the book then. :~)

28. Jackie says:

Thank you so much for sharing this comic online. It’s been a huge inspiration to me. The amount of detail you put into every panel is mind-blowing (especially that beautiful final panel, oh my goshhh) and I cannot imagine how much work this whole thing has been and how proud you must be of this masterpiece. I actually can’t remember how I found this website in the first place, but I fell in love with your style and this story immediately because the characters are so tangible and full of life and awesomely designed!! Thank you for making FWB. It’s brought me much happiness. (: I’ll be sure to buy it once I get some money.

29. Onanymous says:

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to read this wonderful comic online. I’m really going to miss seeing these characters eery day.

I’ve been a fan since D101 and my copy of the book is hopefully making it’s way to South Africa right now.

30. Mark says:

I’ve purchased (pre-ordered, even) two copies from Amazon. One for a friend and one for my partner. I’ve read every panel from day one and really enjoyed it.

That said, I feel as though I’ve been cheated out of an ending. The last three pages felt like filler, just put there to say “I met my page quota!” I understand open endings, but the whole ghost thing has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. Other than the story of how/why she died, we got nothing from it. So Maggie’s just going to pretend she never existed, even though all of the brothers were able to see her this whole time? We’re not going to get more closure on the issue between Alistair and Matt?

I feel like I’ve put in my time watching 15 hours of a great new television series, only to have it canceled before we get to see the last seven episodes.

So, yeah, I feel like I’ve invested my time and been let down at the end. I’ll still read your comics though because you’re amazing talented, and even though I personally hate the way this ended, my partner is going to love it. He’s very much into open endings and finding hidden meanings in every little word. Because of that, even though I wish I could cuss at you for leaving ME hanging, I have to thank you for a GREAT birthday gift for my partner.

I look forward to reading your next series, in spite of my negative words here :)

31. E. E. says:

I never considered myself a comic reader. Sometimes in middle school, my friends would pass me their manga, which I would dutifully read, but I was never really taken in. This comic, I believe, expresses comics as a true, mature art form. It’s not about making books easier to read for kids, but the synthesis of literature and visual arts.

While I’m from a scientific background, I dabble in creative writing. Since I began reading this, I’ve found myself concocting panels in my head whenever I write. I don’t have the art skills to create what I am seeing, but you still changed my perspective on story-telling completely. Thank you.

32. Faith – I’m an animator (admittedly not much of a comic book junkie) but I absolutely LOVED this. Thank you, so much!!!

33. Kathleen says:

I absolutely adored Friends With Boys. I’ve been in love with your comics since “Zombies Calling” came out (& I made my brother get it signed for me, as a birthday gift, when you did a signing at The Beguiling). You’ve always been a huge inspiration to me. I look forward to purchasing Friends with Boys at TCAF this year.

34. Tim Canny says:

Can’t wait to pick up my pre-ordered copy. I’m going to read it and enjoy the pleasures of it being a real live book and then I think I’ll pass it on to the daughters of a friend of mine who I’m pretty sure will totally love it.

Thanks to you and First Second for giving us this preview. Congratulations on the release and I can’t wait to see and read more of your work.

35. manda says:

Faith, congratulations and thanks for the wonderful story. I’ve recently ‘rediscovered’ your website, and have followed your comics on and off since D101 (it’s hard to believe it’s been 12 years O_o…).

I actually like the open ending of FWB, it leaves something to the imagination rather than the ‘expected’ closure to every little situation of the story. Personally though, I’d like to believe that the ghost offered some level of comfort and companionship to Maggie as she transitioned from her somewhat sequestered home-life to public school and friendship beyond her brothers, whether it was for Maggie’s sake or for her own.

To say the least, I have enjoyed the progression and growth of your artwork and story-telling, and I will be looking forward to your next story!

36. Angelophile says:

*sniff* But I didn’t want it to end!

The print version was ordered months ago at my local store and I can’t wait to get my greedy mitts on it.

I’ve loved everything about the ride you’ve taken us on. Thank you!

37. Scott says:

Faith, I have really enjoyed reading Friends With Boys, and I would love to support your work! However, I don’t really need a paper copy of the book. Is it possible to send money to you directly to further encourage your work on the web? Perhaps through PayPal?

38. Manuel says:

*clap, clap, clap*

Great ending, for a great comic.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

39. Sarah says:

How bittersweet… Thanks for this.

40. Alex says:

I first heard about your work from ifanboy. Then i checked out your webcomic and to say i am impressed is an unbelievably large understatement. Your work is incredible. It is so detailed yet simple. Cartoony and incredibly expressive. Some of my favorite pages are the ones without dialogue because it shows the true strength of the medium. That page with lucy and her reactions to watching alien (not unlike my reactions to watching john carpenters: the thing)were incredibly funny and well thought out. The way how you are able to do so much in 206 pages is wonderful. This is a story that i actually cherish because at one point it has an emotional core of a girl learning that somethings are beyond repair while dealing with an unconventional life. Perhaps the thing that i love the most is that this work of yours reminds me to keep going with my own comics. I tried to run one on deviantart but it kinda failed because i just couldn’t keep up with uploading each page. You are doing what i want to do and you showed me you don’t have to work within marvel, dc, or darkhorse to make comics for the world. Despite the all the problems i faced with my comic; lack of inspiration at times, harsh unhelpful criticism, erratic work schedule, interest in other projects, life getting in the way, you help keep my faith. So i will buy your book but not at the moment, hopefully in the very near future. I hope to see more from you soon because i still think you are one of the best that i have seen. And maybe one day, just maybe, you and the rest of the world will see the stuff i have been cooking up since i was a kid in the world of dreams. THANK YOU. SO. MUCH.

41. MC says:

Thank you so much for sharing.

42. Rachel says:

Wow, I can’t believe I stumbled upon this comic of yours on the day it finished! :) I feel very lucky! I love your art style, and really enjoyed reading this.

I had a question for you – do you ever attend San Diego Comic Con? I’ve been able to go the past few years and have had fun tracking down and meeting some artists and writers who work I admire. If you’re planning on attend this year or some year in the future, I’d definitely love to meet you and buy copies of your books. :)

I live on the east coast, so sadly Comicon is a little too far for me. :( It’s an expensive show!

• Alyssa says:

I missed you the one year you went because I wasn’t able to go. Naturally I’ve been there every other year. I was so sad, but my friend got my book (ZedC) signed for me, which made it a little better. x_x

P.S. My copy of Friends with Boys arrived today and it’s so beautiful! ^_^

43. Agata says:

Honestly I didn’t want this story to end so fast. I’d love to see more adventures of Maggie, her brothers. Lucy and Allistar. I’d be more than happy if you ever’ll decide to continue this story :)Anyway thanks for great reading :)

44. D Jeremy Brown says:

Fantastic work – I’ve followed you from Demonology 101, and I’m very, very impressed. Fantastic story-building, beautiful art. Incredible all around. Thank you for your work, and yes, I’ll be buying a copy of this.

45. BigSouthern says:

I per-ordered my copy last month with my local store, so there’ll be at least one copy floating around Norfolk, VA!

46. etmoi says:

Nooooooo it can’t be over!!!
    I do like the ending. You’ve mentioned before that you see things like a movie in your head, and in this case the “flow” was just right before the credits rolled up. With that said, I would love some sort of epilogue, even if it’s online and mostly unofficial, because there’s things I’m dying to know!

Does Maggie act on her first ever crush?
    Will Lucy ever see a ghost?
    Why can these siblings see a her when no one else can??? And is it only this ghost or are there other ghosts?
    What will the gang do when they see the Volleyball team at lunch? Will he ever get his comeuppance?

I actually don’t care much about the mom. I feel like that was explained, or at least I’m satisfied with what Maggie’s dad said. It’s not her story.

47. Zuldim says:

Thank you for writing this comic. I absolutely loved every minute of it.

I personally was a Homeschooler my whole life, and just this year made the transition into College. The week I started, I also found out about this comic, and it’s been quite interesting reading this at the same time.

I’ve already pre-ordered a copy as a birthday gift for my Mother, who read the first few pages of the comic, enjoyed it, but didn’t have time to read it as a webcomic. I’m very excited to see her impressions.

Again though, this was absolutely phenomenal, every second of it. I’ve been reading Superhero Girl for a while, and I liked this even more. Great work.

48. Stefano says:

Loved the comic, goingo to order the book, in the hope they deliver in italy too! ^_^
    Hope to read a new comic of you very soon!!

49. funkytoon says:

Thank you so much. This is an awesome story and you are incredibly talented, I was linked over from another site and have read it in two sittings. I will be ordering the book when I get paid! =)

50. Bill says:

Happy news! I went to recommend it to my local library here in Grand Rapids, Michigan and they already have it on order! They also carry Brain Camp, The War at Ellsmere and Zombies Calling. (We have a great library system that loves graphic novels)

- clap clap clap clap -

52. Craig Oxbrow says:

Ahh, I hope she finds what she’s looking for. But at least someone did.

Thanks for putting this up, and I see a sale in future.

53. Morgan says:

I heard about this from Hark! A Vagrant, and had kept up with it since. It was the perfect start to the day, always looked forward to it! Sometimes I cheated and checked at midnight or so so I could read some more before bed, hee-hee. Thanks so much for making the entire book available on the web, I loved reading it. I will buy a copy of course.

54. Mr. Wonderful says:

Mother of sweating Jesus. I just read this entire strip in one sitting, after accidentally finding out it existed a few hours ago. Just excellent. Story, illustration, characters, everything. Just bloody excellent.

55. pip25 says:

After reading it in a couple of hours, and must say I mostly enjoyed this story. The characters and dialog were refreshingly lifelike and charming. I could see most of the cast like real people. The art is also very expressive and conveys a lot of emotions in a deceivingly simple way.
    That said, if this is not a series, then I am somewhat let down by the ending. Yes, I guess the “slice-of-like” type stories can have open endings, but this goes one step too far in my opinion. Considering its colorful cast and multi-threaded story, perhaps it would have benefited from more pages. Still, it’s not exactly bad, and the plot threads which do receive closure are done in a great way.
    I am seriously considering buying the book, if only to encourage you to create stories which are even better than this. :)

56. Erik Pierce says:

Thank you so much for this. It was a joy to read.

Hey! You got a GLOWING review at The New York Times!

Congratulations, Faith! You’re really moving up in the literary world. I can’t wait to see what you do next!

57. Sandra says:

Please!!! I want so much more!! I love the characters and the story. I’ve just begin and it’s already finish. You are very talented, thanks for the great moment reading you. I’m sorry for my poor english, I’m a french canadian from Québec (can I find the print version in the books store in Québec?). I really enjoy and I hope to read more of your work in a short future.

You should be able to find the book in English language bookstores in Quebec, but there is no French translation as of now. You can also buy the book from Amazon.ca. Thanks for reading! :)

58. BatmansxWife says:

“This comic will be up until March 6″
    *Looks at date” March 3rd

-Challenge accepted-

I read this on sitting! :D

This was a very enjoyable read for me. The pacing wasn’t drab, and the characters were so interesting and different. I think you really managed to make them stand out in their little town, but they weren’t over powering at all. (x I like how chill your pacing was. Though you started out with that dreaded morning scene, I actually didn’t hate it, haha. Reading about it’s boring, but it turns out when you presented it the way you did with Maggie’s beautiful room and the sun streaming (I knew I would like at that very first scene, haha) it was very fun to read. (: I could see the manga influences in your drawing style, as well. It added this flexibility to it and I found myself giggling (okay, sometimes laughing) at the facial expressions. XDD Now, I have no idea what you mean by the story, the ghost, and the concept, but I like moral. (: You’ve showed it very uniquely, which is another reason why I liked this. Though I was disappointed to get to the end of the comic, I was happy. (: It was a great story, and I definitely want a physical copy to flip through over and over and over again. XDDD

Btw, congrats on the publication. (:

59. Jessica says:

this was the first graphic novel i have ever read. :) thank you for making it a great experience