Page 87

Alistair, you are not allowed to find Sigourney Weaver hot when your sister and her friend are talking about how awesome she is because that is ICKY.

This scene (this page and the ones that follow it) were actually written very last, after I’d finished the script for the entire comic. I find scenes where characters are excited about pop culture to be very difficult, especially if it’s something I personally like. It’s important that the characters be saying things that are true to their character (not just spouting MY opinion that Alien is great), and also that there be some point to whatever pop culture thing I’m putting in the comic. It kind of drives me crazy when there’s some pop culture reference or interjection in a comic and it doesn’t have a point; it feels like the author thought something was cool, so dropped a reference to make sure everyone else knew he/she thought it was cool. But a well-written scene where characters bond or reveal their inner lives through their love of something can be very special, so I try and include such scenes when appropriate.

Anyway, this week we’re going to have a guest blogger, which is really exciting! So check back for that.

1. snapdragon76 says:

Both Alistair and the girls are correct. Ripley did kick ass and look hot while doing so. I say this even though I have never seen the movie.

2. Leslie says:

I’m sorry, but Alistair is reallllly, really hot.

3. Agata says:

Guys love underwear scene in Alien ;) Girls love Ripley cause she’s kickass lady.
    Guess that I loved cat the most.

4. Teowulf says:

That last panel is wonderful. Underoos. Lawl.

Based on your comment here about pop culture references, my guess is that shows such as ‘Family Guy’ really get up your nostril. :D

Anyway, as I mentioned before, I was all of ten when I first saw ‘Alien’, and maybe I was precocious, but I was in full agreement with Alistair.

I really hate Family Guy. It is a lazy, lazy show. All comedy that relies on reference (just reference! no actual jokes about what they’re referring to!) is the worst.

• Ari says:

I actually prefer American Dad. The pop reference stuff isn’t as much in your face on that show as it is on Family Guy.

6. James says:

Favourite panel so far. Awesome. :)

7. Shauna says:

I love that ‘did I just say that out loud’ look on Alistair’s face.

Haha, yeah, that is one of my favourite takes to draw, when a person’s eyes turn into dots. I just think it’s hilarious.

8. Vinca5 says:

Alistair, probably thinking he needs to hang out with some guys.

9. Anii says:

I like how you think! :) haha. Also I love their reactions in the last panel. awesome.

10. Lesley says:

I really want to see a bigger version of Alistair’s face in the last panel. His expression in the second panel is pretty great too. He’s all :D undies! oh wait, angry girls D:

11. Anita says:

I love how Alistair’s hair deflates when he gets The Glare.